After we carried out luggage to our room (#4) they gave us a little tour of the guest house where we would be spending the next 5 days. Our room had a bed, nightstand, crib, and bathroom. The guest house is soo nice. There was a kitchen, a dining room, and large open living area with sofas and chairs as well as a computer ready with Skype and and anything else we needed. We were the first family there. (I have more pictures of the guest house but I am looking for my camera cord again...)
After our mini tour they told us that we could rest a little while and then one of the workers there would meet with us to complete some paperwork. Even though we were SO anxious to meet little Lucy we took their advice and rested for a short while. After about 30-45 minutes we went back downstairs to meet with the director and one of the workers there. We exchanged our US dollars for Ethiopian birr (pronounced burr). We ordered some coffee to bring home. We completed some visa paperwork and looked over our itinerary. After that Azeb (one of the workers) said, "Are you ready to meet her?" We smiled and said, "OF COURSE!!"
She led us out of the guest house and we passed a small courtyard where older kids were out playing. We waved and smiled and followed Azeb to the transition house. At the door, we removed our shoes and put on black flip flops to avoid carrying in germs. We walked under the door that said, "HOPE" and followed her inside to the left.
She was in the green room in a monkey bouncy seat ALL wrapped up in blankets. We could only see her tiny face popping out. She was much smaller than we thought she would be and even more beautiful. They let me scoop her right up! We just stared and cried and couldn't believe it. At first she cried because of course she had no idea who we were but then after just a few minutes she relaxed and snuggled up. We both just stood there in awe that the moment we had waited for for over 2 1/2 years was happening. We were holding our daughter and looking into her beautiful brown eyes. I will never ever as long as I live forget that moment. It was so much like the moment that they handed Isabel to me after she was born. I held her and knew she was our daughter. That feeling of "She is ours" came over us with Isabel and Lucy.
We asked Azeb to take pictures and video and she did! I can't share the video or many pictures now but we can share more later.
After we spent time with Lucy R it was time for her to take a nap. I forgot that babies like to nap A LOT! We were pretty hungry by then so Wass took us to a restaurant nearby called "New Look." New Look is inside of a very tall building just up the street from where we were staying. We didn't realize how tired and jetlagged we were until we had to try and keep up with Wass flying up the stairs to get to the restaurant! The stairs seemed to keep going and going and going. We had to stop half way up to catch our breath. Also, the altitude of Addis Ababa is much higher than what we are used to in North Carolina. We managed to finally get to the top and Wass introduced us to the owner and left and then we sat down to eat lunch. I had a grilled chicken sandwich with fries and a Fanta. Brian had the "normal burger" and fries and a coke. I should say here that the "normal" burger was not really very normal at all. I would actually probably call it the ABnormal burger. It was squishy and I don't know really what was in it. I'm pretty sure it had berbere in it though. Berbere is a spice mix that Ethiopians put in everything. It's really yummy but when you're expecting a "normal" burger, it's not so yummy. haha. I let Brian have some of my chicken. After we finished our lunch, the owner said we should get a macchiato. People drink macchiatos ALL of the time in Ethiopia and oh.my.word. I understand why. They are delicious! The best coffee EVER! If you don't know what an Ethiopian macchiato is it is basically super strong espresso with steamed, foamed milk. Then, you just add sugar to taste. Yummmm!!! After our coffee, we went out on the veranda to see the beautiful views of the city. It is SO big and sprawling in all directions.
The one above was when we stopped half way up the flight of stairs and snapped a picture looking out!
This was the same view but another day that we went back.
Before we left, the owner of New Look INSISTED that we pose with his traditional coffee set up. In Ethiopia, it is very common to go to someone's house and have coffee served to you in a traditional way. We obviously did not grind up the coffee and roast it and all but the owner thought it would be fun for us to pretend! These are the pictures he took. :)





No comments:
Post a Comment